Sunday, June 24, 2012

Cairns Day 6

Today was a very long day. We had to be in the hotel lobby by 6:30AM, so we could catch our bus ride to the river for some white water rafting. I was very excited to go, but at the time all I wanted to do was sleep. After a quick pit stop at the headquarters we began our 2 hour journey to the Tully River. With about 30 minutes left we got our safety instructions along with what to do when we arrived at the river. Although it was a nice day outside, probably in the high 70's, the sun was hiding behind the clouds and the water was ice cold. However, we began our three hour journey down the river, and it was a blast!


I have never been more excited, scared, happy, and nervous in a three hour span as I was today. We went down so many rapids and under waterfalls, but on top of that the scenery was breathtaking and the air was so clean.


About halfway through we stopped for a quick BBQ lunch, tea, and coffee, which was a nice warm up. About an hour after lunch we made another quick pitstop at a very tall rock which we were able to jump off of. Since I had signed my life away on three out of the past four days I figured I might as well go for it. Once I jumped it seemed like a very long fall before I finally hit the freezing cold water.


Eventually however, we made it to the bottom of the river and began our two hour bus ride back to Cairns. As exciting and adventurous as the day was by the time we got back I was exhausted and ready for sleep, but after a quick power nap, and knowing I only had two more nights left with these amazing people I went out. This night out was probably the most fun I had the entire trip.


After a lot of singing and dancing some girls and I made our way back to the hotel to get a few hours of sleep before a long day at the beach tomorrow. I can't believe it is my last day of the trip already.... It feels like only yesterday that I was leaving LAX.

No comments:

Post a Comment